October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM), an opportunity to celebrate the contributions of workers with disabilities and the value of a diverse workforce that includes the skills and talents they bring. Read an NDEAM message from Acting ACL Administrator Edwin Walker (coming soon).
Federal Partnerships to Promote Disability Employment
For People with Disabilities and their Families and Friends
- Centers for Independent Living are consumer-controlled, community-based, cross-disability, nonprofit agencies that provide an array of independent living services, including services that can help with employment.
- ACL-funded state assistive technology programs provide information on tools and services that can help a person with a disability perform activities that might otherwise be difficult, whether at home or in the workplace.
- The Job Accommodation Network is an ODEP-funded technical assistance center providing free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities.
- The Disability.gov Guide to Employment compiles a wide-range of employment resources for people with disabilities.
- Protection and Advocacy systems can inform employees of their legal rights and advocate on their behalf.
For States, Policymakers, and Nonprofits