Submitting a FOIA Request

In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the HHS Freedom of Information Regulations (45 CFR Part 5), ACL answers all requests as accurately and completely as possible from existing records. In order to accomplish this most efficiently we require all requests to be submitted in writing; email will be received by the FOIA officer most quickly, but requests also may be submitted by postal service, facsimile, or messenger. (Contact information is found below.)

Requests must contain the requestor's postal address and the name of the person responsible for paying any fees that may be charged. A phone number where we can reach the requester to get clarification of the request or resolve other issues concerning the request, is strongly recommended. Providing the request in writing assures that all the rights provided by the FOIA and these regulations are protected (for example, the right to administratively appeal any denials we may make and the right to have our decisions reviewed in federal court).

Your letter should include all the details possible in order to help us identify and locate the records you want. In addition to having the potential to be very costly in terms of fees, “all the records you have on …” types of requests tend to require a great deal of search time, even if few or no records are found on the subject you are interested in. If you are not sure how to write your request or what details to include, contact the Freedom of Information Officer.

Only Freedom of Information Officers have the authority to release or deny records, or to waive or reduce fees. 

ACL Freedom of Information Officers

ACL FOIA Officer and Public Liaison
Jennifer Klocinski
Phone: 202-795-7377
Fax: 202-205-0399

FOIA Requester Service Center
Administration for Community Living
Washington, DC 20201
Phone: 202-795-7377

More information 

A copy of the current HHS Freedom Of Information Regulations and available HHS FOIA annual reports can be obtained from the HHS Freedom Of Information Office.

If you are looking for help for yourself or a loved one, please visit the “Get Help” section of our website. 

Last modified on 12/05/2022

Back to Top