Every May, the Administration for Community Living leads the nation’s observance of Older Americans Month (OAM). The 2024 theme is Powered by Connection, which recognizes the profound impact that meaningful relationships and social connections have on our health and well-being. We will explore the vital role that connectedness plays in supporting independence and aging in place by combatting isolation, loneliness, and other issues.
Join us in promoting the benefits of connecting with others. Here are some ways you can participate.
- Share facts about the mental, physical, and emotional health benefits of social connection and how it contributes to overall well-being.
- Promote resources that help older adults engage, like community events, social clubs, and volunteer opportunities.
- Connect older adults with local services, such as transportation, that can help them overcome obstacles to achieving or maintaining meaningful relationships.
- Encourage partners to host a connection-centric event or program focused on older adult mentors to youth, peer-to-peer support, or similar efforts.
- Challenge professional and personal networks to prioritize meaningful social connections and share the benefits.
- Inspire older adults to share what connection means to them on social media using the hashtag #PoweredByConnection.