Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Housing with Services

If it becomes necessary, several types of housing come with support services. Primarily, these are:

  • Public Housing for low-to-moderate income elderly and persons with disabilities. Typically assistance with services is provided by a staff person called a Service Coordinator
  • Assisted Living or "board and care" homes are group living settings that offer housing in addition to assistance with personal care and other services, such as meals. Generally, they do not provide medical care
  • Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) provide a range of housing options, including independent living units, assisted living and nursing homes, all on the same campus. Nursing facilities, or nursing homes, are the most service-intensive housing option, providing skilled nursing services and therapies as needed.

Comparing Options

When comparing these options, weigh how much they cost, what you can afford, and the range and quality of the services provided. Also compare the type of insurance or public programs that may help pay for these services, their eligibility requirements, and how close you will be to family and friends.

Last modified on 02/18/2020