Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Help with Housing or Services

If you need housing assistance or are looking for services that help people with disabilities or older adults with everyday activities, these programs and resources may be able to help. All of the programs and resources on this page are operated or funded by the federal government.

Housing Assistance

The Need Housing Assistance? website has toll-free numbers and information to help with a variety of issues, including:

  • Homelessness or risk of homelessness
  • Rent 
  • Eviction
  • Tenant rights and responsibilities
  • Fair housing
  • Mortgages and foreclosure

 (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development)

For renters

  • Find Help with Rent and Utilities lets renters and landlords find information on rental and utility assistance in their area. (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)

For homeowners:

  • Help for Homeowners has information for people who have trouble making mortgage payments because of a COVID-19 related hardship. (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
  • The Home Modification Information Network provides information about home modification and repair programs in each state. (U.S. Administration for Community Living.)

For veterans encountering homelessness

Programs and services to support living in the community

Services and programs provided in the home or in the community to assist with daily tasks of life help older adults and people with disabilities live independently and can improve housing stability. Some people need physical help, such as help with dressing and eating, while others need help with things like managing money and making decisions. Many people need a blend of services and supports. What is most important is that the specific services and supports are chosen by the person receiving them, to meet their needs in the way that best fits their preferences. 

There are a wide range of programs managed by states and communities to best meet the needs of the people who live there. Unfortunately, it can be very challenging to know where to begin. People often have questions about things like what programs are available in their states or communities, which will best meet their needs, whether they or their loved one are eligible and how to sign up. The resources below can help you get started.

  • Aging and Disability Resource Centers act as a gateway to a broad range of services and supports. (Administration for Community Living)
  • Centers for Independent Living offer a broad range of services to empower people with disabilities to stay in the community. These community-based centers are run by and for people with disabilities. (Administration for Community Living)
  • The Eldercare Locator can connect older adults to the resources available where they live. Call 1-800-677-1116, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern) or visit the website to chat live or browse resources. (Administration for Community Living)
  • The Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) helps people with disabilities find vaccination sites, learn about vaccines, and overcome barriers to becoming vaccinated for the coronavirus, DIAL also assists with information and services that promote independent living and address fundamental needs. Call 1-888-677-1199 Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern) - or - email This video provides an overview of DIAL along with contact information. (Administration for Community Living)
  • searchable directory for substance use and mental health facilities, health care centers, buprenorphine practitioners, and opioid treatment providers (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
  • LTSS (Long-Term Services and Supports) for Older Indians is a place to learn about services and other assistance for tribal and urban older Indians. It can help you find some local services. (National Indian Council on Aging)  
  • National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders. It is available in both English and Spanish. Call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or TTY: 1-800-487-4889. (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
  • State Assistive Technology Act Programs can help people learn about, use, and acquire assistive technology that enables them to carry out activities of daily living independently. (Administration for Community Living)

Also, BenefitsCheckUp can help you find programs that can save you thousands of dollars on the basic costs of living. (National Council on Aging)


Last modified on 07/15/2023

Back to Top