Input Needed by Tomorrow: CMS issues draft guidance on new Medicare Prescription Payment Plan program
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is seeking input on draft guidance on the Medicare Prescription Payment Plan. The draft guidance would give people with Medicare prescription drug coverage (Medicare Part D) the option to pay their out-of-pocket costs in monthly payments spread out over the year, starting in 2025.
CMS also is requesting feedback on the best ways to educate Part D enrollees about the program. Specifically, CMS is seeking input on:
- Which model documents or other materials CMS should develop or update;
- How to most effectively conduct outreach and education about the program
- How to leverage existing resources, including the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
- How to communicate about overlapping programs (such as the Low-Income Subsidy and Medicare Savings Programs)
Comments can be submitted via email until Wednesday, September 20.
Please send comments to PartDPaymentPolicy@cms.hhs.gov with the subject line “Medicare Prescription Payment Plan Guidance.”
For more information on the Medicare Prescription Payment Plan, check out this fact sheet and timeline for implementation.
CMS Listening Sessions: Medicare Drug Price Negotiation Program
CMS will host a series of virtual patient-focused listening sessions this fall as part of the Medicare Drug Price Negotiation Program. The sessions will provide an opportunity for patients, beneficiaries, caregivers, consumer and patient organizations, and other interested parties to share input relevant to the drugs selected for the first round of negotiations.
CMS is interested in patient-focused input, including information related to therapeutic alternatives of the selected drugs and how the selected drugs address unmet need, as well as how the selected drugs impact specific populations. The sessions will be listen-only; CMS will not be responding to feedback during the sessions.
The listening sessions will be held October 30-November 15, 2023. There is one session for each of the 10 drugs selected for the first round of price negotiations. The schedule can be found on CMS’ website. Registration is not required. All sessions will be livestreamed.
There are two ways to share feedback and input to CMS related to the selected drugs and their therapeutic alternatives:
- Public statement: Those who wish to make a brief live, public statement should register for the chance to speak at a listening session. Each session can accommodate approximately 20 speakers. Speaker registration and additional information is outlined on CMS' website. Speaker registration is open through October 2, 2023.
- Provide written input: CMS is accepting written input until October 2, 2023. Submit your email address to receive the input form.