National Older Adult Mental Health Awareness Day
May 20, 2019, 1:00-3:30 PM ET, Hubert Humphrey Building, 200 Independence Ave SW, DC
Hosted by ACL, SAMHSA, and the National Coalition on Mental Health and Aging, this event aims to raise awareness of older adults’ mental health needs and promote evidence-based prevention, treatment, and recovery supports. It will encourage collaboration between mental health and aging networks and highlight where to seek services when needed.
- Save-the-Date Postcard (PDF, 168KB)
- Event Agenda (PDF, 217KB)
- Panel Member Bios (PDF, 130KB)
- Event Slides (PDF, 246KB)
- ACL Resource List (PDF, 150KB)
- SAMHSA Resource List (PDF, 566KB)
Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or TTY: 1-800-799-4889
Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-TALK (8255), Press 1 or TTY: 1-800-799-4889
National Treatment Helpline 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or TTY: 1-800-487-4889
Behavioral health is the promotion of mental health and well-being, the treatment of mental and substance use disorders, and the support of those who experience and/or are in recovery from these conditions.
Anyone, regardless of age or ability, can experience a behavioral health condition, such as depression, substance misuse, or suicidal thoughts. Behavioral health problems are not a normal part of aging or of living with a disability, but older people and people with disabilities are less likely to receive mental health treatment.
Knowing the signs of behavioral health problems and the resources available can lead to faster diagnosis and treatment and help prevent social isolation, increased disability, and other complications.
Through its Aging and Disability Networks, ACL offers a wide range of resources to help older adults, people with disabilities, families, caregivers, and communities support behavioral health and well-being.
The following resources from ACL, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), the National Council on Aging (NCOA), and others offer a range of information on behavioral health topics.
Training and Toolkits
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support in Schools (Florida PBIS). Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS) is an approach to supporting student behavior.
- Promoting Emotional Health and Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for Senior Centers (SAMHSA). This toolkit helps senior centers integrate suicide prevention into activities that support well-being.
- Linking Older Adults with Medication, Alcohol, and Mental Health Resources (SAMHSA). For service providers, this toolkit offers guides, curricula, and more on mental health and substance use.
- Behavioral Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention for Older Adults (Human Services Research Institute). A training developed for person-centered counseling professionals of ADRC/No Wrong Door grantees.
- Veteran Community Provider Toolkit (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs). This toolkit brings together material, including a resource inventory, from multiple federal agencies.
Fact Sheet: Opioids and Older Adults (ACL)
Issue Brief: The Opioid Public Health Emergency and Older Adults (ACL)
A Guide to Using Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Services (SAMHSA, CMS)
Fact Sheet: Chronic Illness and Mental Health (NIMH)
A Day in the Life of Older Adults: Substance Use Facts (SAMHSA)
Growing Older: Providing Integrated Care for an Aging Population (SAMHSA, HRSA)
Behavioral Health Profiles
The following profiles help communities identify focus areas, select goals, and target services to address priority issues for older adults. They compare state trends with those in the region and the nation.
- Region I (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont)
- Region II (New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands)
- Region III (Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia)
- Region IV (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee)
- Region V (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin)
- Region VI (Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas)
- Region VII (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska)
- Region VIII (Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming)
- Region IX (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, American Samoa, FSM, CNMI, Guam, Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau)
- Region X (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington)
Archived Event Materials
- Exploring Strategies to Engage Veterans in Community-Based Health Promotion Programs (NCOA, 2018)
- Using Motivational Interviewing to Improve Health Outcomes Among Older Adults (NCOA, 2018)
- A Spotlight on Older Adults and Behavioral Health (NCOA, 2017)
- Using the Senior Reach Program to Address Risk Factors for Suicide Among Older Adults (NCOA, 2017)
- Poster Symposium: Behavioral Supports & Mental Health (AUCD, 2016)