The purpose of the Switzer Research Fellowships Program is to build research capacity by providing support to highly qualified individuals, including those with disabilities, to perform research on rehabilitation, independent living, and other experiences and outcomes of individuals with disabilities.
How to Apply
- Only individuals are eligible to apply for Switzer Research Fellowship Grants. Any individual who has training and experience that indicates a potential for engaging in scientific research related to rehabilitation and independent living for individuals with disabilities is eligible for the Fellowship. This program provides two categories of Fellowships: Merit Fellowships and Distinguished Fellowships.
- Merit Fellowships are awarded to individuals in earlier stages of their careers in research. To be eligible for a Merit Fellowship, an individual must have either advanced professional training or experience in independent study in an area that is directly pertinent to disability and rehabilitation
- Distinguished Fellowships require an individual must have seven or more years of research experience in subject areas, methods, or techniques relevant to disability and rehabilitation research and must have a doctorate, other terminal degree, or comparable academic qualifications
- In fiscal year 2024, NIDILRR will make available a distinct grant opportunity for Merit Switzer Research Fellowships for Doctoral Dissertation Research. Individuals applying must demonstrate their formal academic status as doctoral candidates. Doctoral candidate status means that an applicant must have completed all requirements for the doctoral degree except the dissertation.
- View a list of NIDILRR funding opportunities and application kits Note: After clicking on this link, all of the NIDILRR’s funding opportunities will be displayed. To view only the Switzer opportunities, type “switzer” in the Keyword(s) text box. Then click on the Search button.
- View the Guide to Applying for some helpful application tips
- View a List of currently-funded or previously-funded Research Fellowship (Switzer) Program Merit Fellowships
- View a List of currently-funded or previously-funded Research Fellowship (Switzer) Program Distinguished Fellowships
- View Articles Produced by Switzer Fellows in REHABDATA. Note: You may use NARIC’s document delivery service to obtain photocopies of these articles. However, a nominal fee may be charged to obtain photocopies. Alternatively, you may wish to search World Cat to find local libraries in your area that have these articles in their collection.
- View a Sampling of Full-Text (Switzer) Fellows’ Publications in PubMed Central
Contact Linda Vo at NIDILRR if you have questions about the Switzer Research Fellowship Program.