November 7, 2018 Update:
The new Older Americans Act (OAA) State Performance Report (SPR) and the new reporting software, Older Americans Act Performance System (OAAPS) Technical Documentation and Training Resources are now permanently posted on the AGID website: https://agid.acl.gov/Default.aspx. Updates to those SPR and OAAPS materials, including a Version Control Document and sign up for ACL updates, are available in the “Resources” Section under “Data Sources”.
September 19, 2018:
The Administration for Community Living (ACL) has recently completed redesigning the Older Americans Act (OAA) State Program Performance Report (SPR) and has almost finished development of a new, web-based tool for submission of those data.
The Older Americans Act Performance System (OAAPS) will be the new reporting tool the Administration for Community Living (ACL)/Administration on Aging (AoA) uses to monitor performance and collect information on Older Americans Act (OAA) Title III, VI, and VII programs. States and Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) will be able to submit their annual performance report data on OAA program participants, services, and expenditures either through uploading data files (based on a template to be provided by ACL) or directly inputting data into OAAPS. The system is expected to be completed in early 2019.
The resources and links below include details on the redesigned SPR, new and old data elements with definitions, and uploading files. Each resource includes a brief description of the document’s purpose and overall content.
- ACL’s OAAPS Title III – Data and Software Technical Documentation Overview
The OAAPS Title III – Data and Software Technical Documentation Overview is a presentation by ACL, which gives a brief overview of the Older Americans Act Performance System (OAAPS) and the technical documents. The presentation, video recording, and transcript of the presentation are available to provide a general overview of each resource below.
- OAA Titles III and VII (Chapters 3 and 4), State Program Performance Report (SPR)
The OAA Titles III and VII (Chapters 3 and 4), State Program Performance Report (SPR) summarizes data collection requirements for the redesigned SPR. This Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approved document (OMB Control No.: 0985-0008) was used as the basis for forming the Older Americans Act Performance System (OAAPS). Similar to the previous SPR, the data collected in the redesigned SPR is aggregate state-level data. The report is composed of the following four sections:
- Data Model;
- Service Lists by Demographic Data Requirements;
- Data Element Categories and Intersections; and
- Level One Data Elements Tables.
- State Program Performance Report (SPR), Crosswalk
The State Program Performance Report (SPR), Crosswalk is a spreadsheet that maps the previous SPR to the revised SPR. This sortable and searchable spreadsheet contains every element from both the old and new report. It aligns the previous and revised data elements on the same row and includes a column detailing if the data element is new, the same, removed, changed, or system generated.
- State Program Performance Report (SPR), Master Spreadsheet
The State Program Performance Report (SPR), Master Spreadsheet provides comprehensive information on the revised SPR data elements, referred to as the “To Be” data elements. The purpose of the master spreadsheet is to provide a description of each data element notating the component, sub-component, element number, and a brief summary of the data element. Many of the data elements in the revised SPR can be described at three levels. Level one would be a demographic category such age or gender identity. Level two is the categorical breakdown of the level one data element, for example, female for gender identity or 60 to 64 for age. Many level two data elements are repeated for multiple services. Level three is the OAA applicable service, for example, females receiving chore services.
Key information contained in each column includes:
- Element Number, a unique number for each data element up to level two (e.g. CD-03-01)
- Component, the revised SPR is divided into two primary components, Aging Network and Service.
- Subcomponent Name, the 16 subsections of data elements
- Data Element Category, the name, title, or short descriptor for a specific data element.
- Description, a brief summary of a data element.
- Codes and Values, for data elements with coded values, specifies the codes used and their associated values (e.g. true, false).
- Required, indicates whether the data element is required.
- Data Type, indicates whether the data is an integer, string, or coded value, etc.
- Quantifier, indicates whether there can be just one value reported for a data element or if multiple values are permitted.
- State Program Performance Report (SPR), Upload Template Guide
The Older Americans Act Titles III and VII (Chapters 3 and 4), Upload Template Guide describes each data element and how to use the Older Americans Act Titles III and VII (Chapters 3 and 4), Upload Template to upload OAAPS State Performance Report (SPR) and Nutrition Services Incentive Program (NSIP) data. The guide includes details on the business rules and dependencies related to each data element. The template and guide can assist with redesigning or adjusting state and/or local reporting systems.
- State Program Performance Report (SPR), Upload Template
The Older Americans Act Titles III and VII (Chapters 3 and 4), Upload Template is a file structured to allow the importing and/or uploading of data into OAAPS. The only change permissible to this file is the addition of actual data. All files uploaded into OAAPS will undergo a template check to ensure the correct template is used. If the template is correct, OAAPS will perform format validations to ensure the data uploaded adheres to the rules defined for each data element. Please Note: The column headings and order may NOT be changed. OAAPS software supports uploads using the following file types: (.csv), (.xlsx), and (.xml). Please email ACL-OAAPS@icf.com to obtain an alternative format (such as csv or xml).
- State Program Performance Report (SPR), Appendix A: Data Element Definitions
The State Program Performance Report (SPR), Appendix A: Data Element Definitions document provides the full definitions for all data elements, code values, services, and related terms along with links to additional resources. Appendix A provides additional detail beyond the brief definitions found in the SPR and the Master Spreadsheet and in some cases provides external links to additional resources for the level one and level two data elements. Definitions in this appendix are grouped into three tables and presented in alphabetical order:
- Demographics and Consumer Characteristics,
- Services and Service Units, and
- Additional Definitions.
- OAAPS User Guide: Coming Soon
Once pilot testing of the OAAPS system has been completed, ACL will provide a detailed guide for users that describes the system and how users can create accounts, upload or manually enter data, validate and submit their data, and create data reports (e.g., reports comparing two years of data). The document will be in easy-to-understand language and include screen shots.
Have the changes been finalized and approved through the ACL/AOA for Title 3?