The Administration for Community Living (ACL) awarded the State Health Insurance Assistance Program Technical Assistance Center (SHIP TA Center) to the Northeast Iowa Area Agency on Aging (NEI3A).
ACL's Office of Healthcare Information and Counseling manages the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). The SHIP mission is to empower, educate, and assist Medicare-eligible individuals, their families, and caregivers through objective outreach, counseling, and training, to make informed health insurance decisions that optimize access to care and benefits. The SHIP vision is to be the known and trusted community resource for Medicare information.
The award is a five year cooperative agreement (from September 1, 2020, to August 31, 2025), totaling $1,350,000 this fiscal year. With this award NEI3A will:
- Increase public awareness of SHIPs;
- Increase SHIP knowledge of Medicare and related health benefits;
- Increase SHIP knowledge of successful, innovative practices;
- Increase SHIP abilities and accuracy using the national SHIP data system and performance measures;
- Support SHIP implementation of policies for volunteer risk and program management (VRPM); and
- Provide SHIPs nationally available, relevant resources that support their professional well-being and ability to meet the program mission.
Visit ACL's website to learn more about the State Health Insurance Assistance Program.