Veterans who served in Afghanistan may be experiencing a range of challenging emotions related to the U.S withdrawal from the country and the events unfolding now. Veterans who served during other conflicts also may be feeling strong emotions, as they may be reminded of their own deployment experiences. This blog post from the Department of Veterans Affairs talks about some of the common reactions and strategies for managing ongoing stress.
The VA also created this compilation of VA resources, call center information, peer support, and other community services to support veterans and their families:
- Vet Centers – Discuss how you feel with other Veterans in these community-based counseling centers. 70% of Vet Center staff are Veterans. Call 1-877-927-8387 or find one near you.
- Veterans Crisis Line – If you are having thoughts of suicide, call 1-800-273-8255, then PRESS 1 or visit http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/
- For emergency mental health care, you can also go directly to your local VA medical center 24/7 regardless of your discharge status or enrollment in other VA health care.
- VA Women Veterans Call Center – Call or text 1-855-829-6636 (M-F 8AM – 10PM & SAT 8AM – 6:30PM ET)
- VA Caregiver Support Line – Call 1-855-260-3274 (M-F 8AM – 10PM & SAT 8AM – 5PM ET)
- Download VA’s self-help apps – Tools to help deal with common reactions like, stress, sadness, and anxiety. You can also track your symptoms over time.
- VA Mental Health Services Guide – This guide will help you sign up and access mental health services.
- MakeTheConnection.net – information, resources, and Veteran to Veteran videos for challenging life events and experiences with mental health issues.
- Vets4Warriors – 1-855-838-8255
- Wounded Warrior Project – Need someone to talk to? Connect with your peers. Call 888.WWP.ALUM (997.2586) or visit https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
- Veteran Wellness Alliance – Need help or want to talk? Check In or call:1-630-522-4904 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Code of Support 1-571-418-6339 press 1
- Elizabeth Dole Foundation Hidden Heroes – Join the Community or call 202-249-7170
- American Red Cross Military Veteran Caregiver Network – Peer Support and Mentoring or call the Hero Care Network at 1-877-272-7337
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) – Tragedy Assistance Program For Survivors (TAPS) Is Here For You! or call 800-959-TAPS (8277)
- Travis Manion Foundation – 1-215-348-9080 or email email@example.com
- America’s Warrior Partnership 1-866-AWPVETS
- RallyPoint – Talk to other Veterans online. Discuss: What are your feelings as the Taliban reclaim Afghanistan after 20 years of US involvement?
- Together We Served –Find your battle buddies through unit pages
- Team Red, White & Blue – Hundreds of events weekly. Find a chapter in your area.
- Student Veterans of America – Find a campus chapter to connect with.
- Independence Fund
- Blue Star Families
- ETS Sponsorship
- Boulder Crest
- Cohen Veterans Network
- Team Rubicon
Veteran Service Organizations:
- The American Legion
- Disabled American Veterans Charity (DAV)
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) Contact them 24/7/365 by calling 855-91RAPID (855-917-2743) or digitally at www.quickreaction force.org
- Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA)
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
- Vietnam Veterans of America