Every March, the National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities (NACDD) and its partners collaborate to lead Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month (DDAM). The campaign highlights how people with and without disabilities come together to form strong communities. DDAM raises awareness of the inclusion and contributions of people with developmental disabilities in all aspects of community life, and it's a time to explore the work we still need to do to remove barriers.
The 2023 theme, Beyond the Conversation, focuses on the question, "what next?" With this theme, NACDD plans to highlight change and innovation – what individuals and communities are doing to move past discussions and take action on education, employment, accessibility, and more.
Related ACL Work
- State Councils on Developmental Disabilities (DD Councils) identify the most pressing needs of people with DD in their states/territories and work to address them through advocacy, systems change, and capacity-building efforts that promote self-determination, integration, and inclusion. Check out our DD Councils fact sheet
- University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities Education, Research & Service (UCEDDs) are a nationwide network of independent but interlinked centers that address issues, find solutions, and advance research.
- State Protection & Advocacy Systems (P&As) help people navigate the legal system to achieve resolution and encourage systems change, ensuring they can exercise their rights to make choices, contribute to society, and live independently.
- Projects of National Significance (PNS) focus on the most pressing issues affecting individuals with DD and their families, creating and enhancing opportunities for people to contribute to and participate in all areas of community life.
- Independent Living Programs, including Centers for Independent Living, work to support community living by providing resources and supports that promote inclusion, integration, equal opportunities, and self-determination.
Disability Employment Technical Assistance Center (DETAC) Webinar
Celebrating DDAM: Let’s Partner with Councils on Developmental Disabilities
March 14, 3 p.m. ET | Watch the Recording
Black Feathers Podcast Live Recording
A live podcast in partnership with NACDD
March 21, 3 p.m. ET | Webinar Registration - Zoom
ACL Webinar Series
Part One- Community Living Housing Options: Perspective on Barriers and Solutions
March 29, 3-4:15 p.m. ET | Webinar Registration - Zoom
FEMA and NACDD Webinar
Innovations in Inclusive Emergency Management
March 30, 12-1 p.m. ET | Webinar Registration
#DDawareness2023 (NACDD full tag)
#DDAM2023 (NACDD short-form tag)
#BeyondTheConversation (NACDD theme-specific tag)
#DevelopmentalDisabilities (tag to reach a wider audience)
Join the conversation on Twitter: Follow @ACLgov and @NACDD.
Social Media Graphics
Click on an image to view/download. These images may be customized and used freely without attribution to ACL.
NACDD's DDAM logo features artwork by Jamila Rahimi, selected from Art Enables. NACDD encourages others to use the image in their own branding and materials.